Campbell

From the early 1800s, the Griquas in Griquatown knew of the lovely fountain at the place they called Knoffel Vlei (a wetland with wild garlic flowers).  A group of followers of Cornelius Kok and his son, Adam II, moved from Griquatown to Knoffel Vley in 1811. The site was renamed Campbell in 1815, to honour Rev John Campbell of the LMS. 

The beautiful stone Bartlett Church was built in 1831 by Rev John Bartlett, who had left the LMS and settled in Campbell.  He lived here until his death in 1849.

The Kok dynasty at Campbell lived on somewhat uneasy terms with Captain Andries Waterboer at Griquatown. The venerable Cornelius Kok, father of Adam Kok II of Philippolis, died at Campbell.  The village was on the main road to the interior, and was visited by many notables, including missionaries and explorers.

The community of Campbell has remained cohesive, continuing the Kok lineage and loyalty. It is part of the Siyancuma Local Municipality, with its headquarters at Douglas.